Thanks for joining The Sista Code! Together, we are going to uplift, inspire and share the love with women from around the world.
You see, just like Gandhi, I believe that if we wish to live in a compassionate, kind and peaceful world where women are empowered, valued and free, we must start with ourselves.
“You must be the change you wish to see in the world”
The Sista Code was created to share thoughts, insights, stories and information, on diverse areas of concern to women. In particular, social issues affecting women, organisations and awesome women making a difference, womens’ health, relationships, career, and family will be featured.
Let’s celebrate each other’s successes, uplift and inspire each other as a way to make a difference world-wide.
It starts with you and me.
What inspired me to start The Sista Code
In March 2014 I went to Nepal to do the still photography for a documentary being made for 3 Angels Nepal about sex-trafficking of women and children.
I came back to Australia after the trip feeling helpless, disillusioned and sad – the sex trafficking of women and children is not unique to Nepal. It happens in many countries, including my own. Watch the news and we see every day the mistreatment of women, children, men, villages, regions, whole countries.
While this is an extreme atrocity, every day in the workplace, the school yard, on social media, everywhere, people can be incredibly judgemental and cruel. Women can be oppressed by other women, even by themselves.
What the hell is going on?
I have spent a lot of time thinking about what role I can play to make some positive changes in the world. I’m not a politician. I’m not a lobbyist. I’m not a celebrity. I’m not in a position of power. But I can take photos and I can write. And I can start by being compassionate and living a life that sets an example for others to follow.
The Sista Code is my way of making a difference
As well as showing compassion, love, and living life to the fullest, The Sista Code is my way of contributing – to share stories and images of inspiring women and organisations that are actively doing what they can to improve the plight of oppressed, disadvantaged and mistreated people around the world.
The opposite of bullying, oppression and mistreatment of people is to uplift, inspire and share the love!
That’s The Sista Code.
Here’s a few bits of random info about me:
- I’m professional photographer, writer, traveller, mum, wife, sister and sista.
- Six months after my husband and I were married (five years ago), I was diagnosed with breast cancer and I didn’t pick up a camera for 12 months while I was undergoing treatment – I totally rock a bald head BTW!
- I pretty much modify every meal I order from a menu…My husband calls me ‘Mel the Modifier’ but I just like it how I like it.
- I have four children – one came from my body and the other three became my children when I married my husband. I had always wanted four children so I say I manifested them!
- At one of my first ever interviews for a professional job in PR I told them I my star sign was Libran and that I was really nice so they should hire me. I don’t know what I was thinking! The extraordinary Heidi Alexandra Pollard was the brave woman that hired me and we have remained sistas ever since.